Friday, March 2, 2012

~~Why Yes WE Like Them..Sam I Am~~

Oh, the Places You'll Go!
by Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.



Happy Hootin' Birthday to Dr. Seuss




I tip my hat.. ...
I mean your hat
to you in gratitude
For you are one of my heroes
and as I sit here and type
I can't think a another person
who has touched, influenced and
encouraged more people to think
outside the box and learn to love words...


I am so grateful that I was born when I was and had the
opportunity to learn to read with you. For I think that if you
had not come along I would not be the avid and voracious reader that
I have been all my life. How boring were the primary readers of
Dick & Jane.. and then along came Spot. I did not,could not, would
not care if they ran, walked, rolled down that stupid hill or got run
over by a bus. In fact, it might have held my attention if they Had
gotten run over by a bus. It would serve them right for being so boring.




When I discovered you.. my LOVE for words was born. And you have
taught me so many lessons throughout my life.


You encouraged me and helped mold my self confidence first in reading and
then the ideas that I Could go where my imagination led me. It was you who
ignited that very first spark.


Later, I had the pleasure of re reading your books when my little brother started to read. The collection of books in my home was such a blessing.




You spent your entire life teaching generations of people, not just children
what I call life lessons. And you presented them in such an easy and simple manner. However tough and big the problem a person faced.. you seemed to have the simple answer. And it always made sense. The world would be a much more peaceful place among nations and within if we would all just read and listen to what you said.









I was absolutely BLESSED beyond measure when I graduated from college (Finally) and my parents gave me a copy of "Oh The Places You'll Go" with an absolutely beautiful message my sweet mom had written for me. This was the year before you died. And it is one of my most precious and treasured possessions. Everything I have faced in my life and the things that I haven't you so eloquently wrapped answers to life's joys and struggles with the ability to set my mind at ease and remind me that everything is temporary.(Yes.. I do realize that that was a bohunker of a run on sentence.. and yes.. I'm sticking with it =D ) At this moment, when faced with an issue that needs to be dealt with, I know for certain that my answer will either lie within the pages of
The Bible, your Places book, or the childrearing book written by Mr. Rogers.
If I will just calm my mind enough to remember to plug back into those.





So what an absolute JOY it has been to open your collection to my own Hoots who have discovered a love for reading and books. Today I asked Little Hoot what her favorite book was and she changed her answer 3 times. Big Hoot did the exact same thing. Now how many authors have such a vast and excellent portfolio of wonderful books? They are all great..


Cindy Lou Who
we love you
and that mean old Grinch too





And there's Bartholomew
and Daisy Head Maisy
and don't forget Thing 1 & Thing 2!!


So today before the Hoots trot off to school
I will try my hand at Green Eggs & Ham
Yes we do like them
Sam I am!!






Oh how I wish I could make a cake like the ones shown



But plain ol' cupcakes will just have to do
Cause I want my Hoots to remember you
And the lessons you've taught may they discover them too

And maybe just maybe
if the Hoots stay all right
Maybe we will catch that new
Movie one night


Thanks Dr. Geisel and Happy Birthday again
Cause you inspired us Hoots
And we treasure your gifts






For you left this big world
With much hope, sense and laughter
May we remember you always and cherish your chatter



No comments:

Post a Comment